Full Course Description
Legal Risks for Nurses: Learn from Real-Life Mistakes
Nursing Liability and Negligence
- Nursing standards
- Multiple case studies
Nurse Practice Acts
- Changes in scope of practice
- Requirements every nurse must know!
- Reporting abuse/neglect
- Patient abandonment
Common Errors and Claims Staffing
- Rights when floating
- Unsafe staffing
What should you do if you make an error?
Should you buy malpractice insurance?
- Does it make you a target?
- Will your employer’s coverage protect you?
- The do’s and don’ts of good charting
- Problems with EHRs
- Real charting examples and solutions
- HIPAA myths
- Nurses fired and prosecuted for breaches in confidentiality and posting online
- Who has authority to consent?
- Capacity to consent?
- Plus, DNRs, End of life issues, and more
Boards of Nursing
- Most frequent charges against nurses
- Your rights
- Case examples
Nurse Whistleblower Protection Laws
- Analyze common errors and claims against nurses.
- Explore some of the steps a nurse can take to help avoid claims.
- Breakdown the laws on documentation and rules of good charting.
- Investigate the new nurse rules on social media.
- Determine who can provide informed consent.
- Evaluate issues pertinent to Advanced Directives and End of Life care.
- Exploit my rights if the Nursing Board takes action against my license.
- Dissect employment laws and Nurse Whistleblower Protections.
Practical Ethics: Addressing the Real-Life Challenges Confronting Healthcare Professionals
What are Your Values?
- Exploration of Foundational Beliefs/Values
- Values Exercise
- Sharpening Critical Thinking Skills
- Human Medical Experimentation and Evolution of Ethics
- Key Cases and Codes
- Presidents Garfield and McKinley
- Tuskegee Syphilis Study
- Nuremburg Trials and Nuremburg Code
- Declaration of Helsinki
- The “God Committee” and Dialysis
- Recent Application of Ethical Decisions in the U.S.
- When is it Appropriate to Involve the Ethics Committee?
- Seeking Consultation: How To’s
- Understanding the Composition of Committees/Models
- Ethical Viewpoints and Stances
- Deontology versus Teleology
- Objectivism versus Relativism
- Key Theories
- Kantian Ethics
- Natural Law
- Rawlsian Ethics
- Ethic of Care
- Rights-Based Ethics
- Communitarian Ethics
- Respect for Persons
Ethical Decision-Making: A Toolkit for Practice
- Framing Ethical Questions and Problems
- Decision-Making Formats and Tools
- The Four-Quadrant Approach
- Bennett-Woods Eight Step Model
The Most Controversial Cases
- Classic, Precedent-Setting Cases
- Current Ethical Dilemmas and Recent Cases
- Living Wills, Advance Directives, DNRs and ANDs
- Cases Involving Personhood Definitions
- Issues of Informed Consent
- What are some of the Most Complex Cases You’ve Encountered?
Dealing with Ethical Dilemmas: Decision-Making Team Practice
- A Dilemma of Limited Resources: Hurricane Katrina and Mercy Hospital
Exercising Ethical Leadership
- Ethical Leadership in the Workplace
- Keeping Current on Ethical Issues
- Ethical Dilemmas on the Horizon: Advancing Technology
- Recent Research: A Sampler
- Educational Opportunities in
- Health-Care Ethics
- Determine scenarios that benefit from ethics committee involvement.
- Investigate ethical insights to clinical and workplace scenarios.
- Apply a variety of ethical decision-making tools to analyze complex patient/family dilemmas.
- Integrate knowledge from precedent-setting ethical cases into current decision-making.
- Critique current ethical cases utilizing sound ethical principles.
- Dissect potential ethical dilemmas arising from technological advances now and in the future.
- Incorporate a variety of “ethical tools” into a practical, usable, and easily accessible ethical toolkit.