Full Course Description
Nursing Stress and Exhaustion: Proven Strategies to Beat Burnout and Revive Your Professional Passion!
Unrelenting Stress Kills
- Self-evaluate: Identify your thorniest work stressors
- Discover ten in-the-moment stress busters
- Stress is a given, but what do you want your response to look like?
Managing the Demanding Patient
- De-escalate any situation with nonviolent communication strategies
- Consider… the impact of uncertainty, lack of information and loss of control
- The two parts of communication: Expressing honestly and listening empathically
Strategies for Stressful Work Overload
- Identify your triggers for emotional nursing distress: Maslach Burnout Inventory
- The Burnout Triad: Depersonalization, overwhelm and loss of personal efficacy
- De-stress in the middle of a busy shift
- Time management skills
Techniques to Bring Calm in High Acuity and Emergency Scenarios
- Processing intense emotions: It's not for the faint of heart
- Create a 'Calm Kit' to get you back in the zone
Handle Unsupportive or Abusive Co-Workers
- How to say what you want, get what you need and not irritate everyone along the way
- Managing bullying and blaming
- Communication practice scenarios:
- You want to tell a co-worker that she really needs to step it up at work
- A co-worker is blaming you for a poor patient outcome
- You need help with a patient today and no one working is very approachable
- Team-building strategies to increase support and cooperation
Increase Job Satisfaction with Caring, Compassion and Gratitude Exercises
- Discover compassion: The road between caring too much and being too burnt out to care
- Don't let mind traps/habitual thinking get you stuck
- Are you experiencing empathic distress?
- Attributes of resiliency
Achieve a Healthy Balance Between Home and Work
- How personal, interpersonal and organizational factors contribute to overall burnout
- Give yourself kindness
- Name and process your emotions
Sleep Disturbances and Anxiety
- Current best practices for shift work/sleep cycles
- Quiet your mind so the work day does not replay
Red Flags: Self-Evaluation for Excessive Stress and Burnout
- Strategies to bring closure to the workday
- Distinguish between venting, complaining and processing the workday
- Meditation and the link to workplace outcomes
- Apply self-care - your most important survival strategy!
Nurses in the COVID-19 Pandemic: Work and Home Strategies to Reduce Your Stress, Fear and Frustration
- Devise methods to calm the mind at work and at home.
- Practice compassion practices to soother the body.
- Plan how to use the empathy buddy to process difficult work emotions.
How do you remain calm during coronavirus storm? This experiential program will present easy to learn techniques to calm the mind, soothe the body and process difficult emotions. Techniques utilizing mindfulness meditation, compassion and communication will be presented to work with stress.
- Expressing gratitude to healthcare workers
- Coronavirus challenges:
- Intensification of stress
- Lack of PPEs
- Fear of contracting the disease
- Anxiety about transmitting it to others
- Staffing and workload
- Extending kindness to coworkers
- Destress by letting go of being perfect/Accepting that we are all doing the best we can
- Staying mentally and physically healthy: Meditation, Sleep, Safety, Exercise, Diet
- Experiential Practices: Mindful meditation, Mindful Check In, Mindful Handwashing, and Empathetic Communication
- Transitioning to home: Leaving work at work and being present for yourself and family
- Other Healthcare Professionals
Weight Loss Solutions for the Busy and Stressed Nurse
Are you a stressed out, overworked nurse who, over the years, have found yourself feeling uncomfortable in your own skin? Have you tried supplements, personal trainers and restrictive diets without the scale budging or being able to fit into those jeans? Do you feel shame about your current weight? You don't like how you look, you aren't the role model you should be for patients, you just don't feel healthy… or happy? Do you feel like you’ve been spinning your wheels in trying to lose weight, getting nowhere fast?
We all know what it takes to lose weight - exercise & healthy food - but if that were true, then why is it so difficult for many to lose weight? The truth is that it requires much more than exercise and nutrition - also unlocking your own behavior, sabotaging habits and disempowering narratives around weight loss, as well as understanding the optimal diet and exercise for your metabolism.
In this recording, Dr. Ruiz, a Naturopathic Doctor and Registered Nurse, will help you unlock your own potential for weight loss in a healthy and sustainable way. You will understand why fad diets won't work - and what diets could work for you. You will analyze your 3-day diet and lifestyle diary, gain clarity around weight goals, overcome sabotaging beliefs about your weight loss journey and develop a sustainable action plan for achieving your desired goal.
- Analyze 3-day diet diaries for optimal nutritional wellness.
- Create a personal weight loss narrative that is empowering.
- Evaluate different diet options to select the optimal diet for your personal weight loss goal.
- Assess personal habits and behaviors that lead to weight gain.
- Plan a personal weight loss action program.
- Analyze supplements that have shown benefit for weight loss.
- Theorize the psychology behind weight loss.
- Implement the 9 Foundations of Healthy Weight Management into your lifestyle.
Challenges of Weight Management
- Causes of weight gain: Diet-binge cycles, stress and overeating
- Common medical causes of weight gain
- Deconstructing cravings: What causes them and how to overcome them
- 80/20 nutrition: How to "treat" yourself without feeling deprived
- How to increase your metabolism naturally
- Stress and its impact on weight management
Food Restrictions Alone Almost Guarantee Diet Failure… There are Nutritional Musts for Success
- Your body's nutritional needs
- Macronutrients: Carbohydrates, proteins and fats
- Hydration and its effect on weight loss
- Hormones and their role in weight management
- Optimal diets for weight loss and why fad diets don't work
- Analyzing your diet and lifestyle diary
- Habits and behaviors that lead to weight gain
- Why are you eating when you aren't hungry?
- Why are you eating past the point of feeling full?
- Eating, weight, emotions, anxiety, depression can all go hand in hand; break the cycle!
9 Foundations of Healthy Weight Management
- Food preparation: How to make quick and convenient meals
- Quality nutrition and food choices
- The psychology of eating: Overeating, shame and self-loathing
- Exercise and motion
- Sleep and recovery
- Developing successful skills for weight management
- Restoration and stress management
- Long-term weight loss habits and mindset
- Creating a supportive environment for weight management
Supplements that are Beneficial for Weight Loss and Management
- Green Tea / Caffeine
- Fish Oil
- Adaptogens: Rhodiola, Eleuthero
Your Weight Loss Narrative - Creating a New Story
- Visualizing the ideal weight goal
- Identifying obstacles in your narrative
- Understanding the process of weight loss
- End your unhealthy relationship with food
- Learn to like your body image now
- Creating a new weight loss narrative
Develop Your Personal Weight Loss Action Plan
- Reasonable goal-making for weight loss
- Objective and subjective indicators of success
Combat Nurse Bullying: Proven Strategies to Take Action
The sad reality is that nurse bullying is a distraction from patient care.
We’ve likely all been there... Either as the target of nurse bullying or have been witness (perhaps a silent witness) to bullying taking place at work.
It does seem contradictory that someone can be both a nurse and a bully. So why does it happen at such significant rates? If we understand the reasons why nurse bullies choose their victims, we can take steps to protect ourselves while at work. And if we can understand the reasons behind a co-worker’s actions, we are more likely to intervene in a way that generates the desired results.
It is time now to take a stand. To stand up for yourself and others who have been disrespected, gossiped about, withholding expected patient information, or criticized in front of patients/families. Bullying can come in so many forms. In less than 90 minutes, you will learn proven strategies from expert Theresa Puckett PhD, RN, CNE, to help turn your department or unit in to a peaceful and enjoyable place to work.
- Analyze the reasons behind bullying decisions common to nursing.
- Evaluate theories of bullying in nursing.
- Measure how individual nurses and the greater organization is affected by bullying.
- Plan interventions to successfully address bullying.
- Historical overview of bullying in nursing
- Expressions of bullying
- From practice: Horizontal and vertical violence
- From academia: Bullied students and faculty members
- Theories of bullying in nursing
- Glasser’s Choice Theory
- Oppression Theory
- Nurse as Wounded Healer
- How are the victims chosen?
- Individual factors
- Workplace characteristics
- How nursing values incite bullying
- Consequences of bulling
- On individuals
- On organizations
- Addressing bullying: Individual Interventions
- Recognizing Super Nurses, Backstabbers and Green-with-Envy Nurses
- Basics of “carefronting”
- Common communication pitfalls and how to address them
- Phrases to form connections
- Communication tools: IMPROVE, SBI, DESC and BEE
- Addressing bullying: Organizational Interventions
- Stop Bullying Toolkit
- Nursing Incivility Scale
- Civility Index Dashboard
- Float Survey questions
- Future directions
Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Nurse Educators, Nurse Managers/Directors Copyright :