Full Course Description
Telemental Health Certification Course: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Virtual Sessions with Children, Adolescents and Families
- Appraise the legal and ethical challenges posed by telehealth for mental health professionals in a clinical setting.
- Specify youth safety and HIPAA compliance challenges associated with telemental health and its clinical implications.
- Analyze the evidence supporting the effectiveness of telemental health for children, adolescents, and families as it relates to clinical treatment.
- Analyze the utilization of technology in your sessions, both the hardware and software of telehealth to determine the best fit for individual practitioners.
- Determine the clinical implications of the unique policies and procedures needed for telehealth.
- Integrate play therapy interventions in a telehealth setting to promote communication skills in clients.
- Appraise privacy, security and confidentiality concerns related to technology use in clinical practice.
- Differentiate how client expectations differ for telehealth as compared to in-person therapy and what that means for clinical treatment.
- Assess and implement therapeutic game interventions in a telehealth environment.
- Assess and implement non-directive play therapy techniques in a telehealth environment.
- Assess and implement talk therapy techniques with children and adolescents in a telehealth setting.
- Demonstrate how to implement parent interventions to assess accurate real time information of child’s symptoms.
Legal & Ethical Considerations
- Benefits vs. Risks to children of using telemental practices and the internet in general
- Dependency concerns
- Telemental health as a business
- Current research in support and pitfalls of telemental health
- Multicultural & Environmental factors
Logistics: Setting up & Practicing Telehealth
- Review and Adoption of Code of Ethics
- Legal implications of practicing across state lines
- Your privacy and data security considerations
- HIPAA compliance for kids & their parents
- Articulating and managing boundaries
Informed Consent & Special Issues
- Technology competence for the clinician
- Computer, hardware and software recommendations
- Internet connectivity, encryption & privacy protections
- Developing the practice of clinical telemental health
- Explaining telemental health to youth & their parents
Safety Planning – For You & Your Patient
- How is consent different with telemental health?
- Informed consent & intake process
- Addressing patient privacy
- Optimal office setup for Zoom
- Adapting counseling/therapy theory and techniques to telemental health
- Suitability screening for your client
- Patient age guidelines
- Policies and procedures that protect yourself, your license and the client
- Emergency and crisis action plans
- Addressing self-harm & suicidal ideations
Navigating Traditional vs. Digital Talk Therapy Interventions
- Telehealth options for young children (under five)
- Delivery methods and platforms for squirmy or disengaged kids
- Severe decompensation
- Practical & strategic solutions for family parenting skills’ sessions
Adapting Play Therapy with Online Games
- CBT techniques that work onscreen
- Worksheets & Homework
- Digital activities that elevate traditional interventions
- Reading therapeutic children’s books
- Team Building Exercises
- Frustration Tolerance Exercises
- Chess & enhancing technical limitations to improve therapy
- Pictionary & other art therapy modalities
- Connect Four, Uno & engaging kids with physical objects
- Zoom & Non-directive play therapy
Building Personal Power and Navigating Stress: Yoga & Mindfulness Practices for School & Home
- Integrate yoga and mindfulness practices that interrupt intrusive thoughts and increase self-compassion.
- Assess how increased self-awareness and embodiment can support anxiety reduction and change children’s relationship to stress.
- Implement practices that support increased sense of safety and reduce overwhelm.
- Conduct simple practices that build students’ sense of personal power and agency.
- Determine when and how to introduce yoga and mindfulness practices to children in ways that maximize engagement.
- Apply key guidelines for sharing yoga and mindfulness practices with physical and emotional safety in mind.
Yoga & Mindfulness for Kids: Science and Safety
- How yoga and mindfulness impact the nervous system
- Creating physical and emotional safety
Soothing the Nervous System
- Orienting practices for kids to build safety:
- Layers of Sound
- Sensory Check In
- Increasing attuned connection without contact:
- Imaginary Ball Pass
- Mirror Hands
Managing Intrusive Thoughts
- Grounding practices for kids to manage escalating emotions:
- Hugging Breath
- Seated Sun Salutation
- Building personal power to reduce anxiety and increase agency:
- Feeling my Strength
- The Warriors
- Reducing the intensity of intrusive thoughts and interrupting rumination:
- Naming My Thoughts
- Taking in the Good
- Replacing fear-based thoughts with self-compassion:
- Thank you body scan
- Kind Wishes