Full Course Description
The Heart in Detail
- Utilize the “Thumbs Technique” to determine the ventricular axis of the heart.
- Analyze the more common cardiac arrhythmias and discuss the causes.
- Evaluate the comparison of coronary artery perfusion to cardiac musculature and the conduction system.
- Differentiate ischemia, injury, and infarction patterns on a 12-lead EKG, 15-lead, and right-sided EKG.
- Integrate new evidenced-based guidelines to treat Acute Coronary Syndrome.
- Categorize the process of valvular dysfunction and state treatments for aortic and mitral valve disease.
- Evaluate the evidenced-based treatments to include medications and invasive procedures for chronic heart failure.
Cardiovascular Assessment: Critical Clues You Should NEVER Miss
- Contrasting Electrical from Mechanical Cardiac function
- Hemodynamics: Understanding Cardiac Output
Don’t Miss a Beat Interpreting Heart Sounds
- Contrast Normal from Abnormal Heart Sounds
- Murmurs: Differentiating Systolic from Diastolic
- S3/S4 Gallops
- Compensatory Mechanisms
- Maintaining Cardiac Output & Blood Pressure
Fast & Slow Dysrhythmias
- Choosing Your Monitor Leads Wisely
- The NEED TO KNOW Arrhythmias
- Bradycardias/AV Blocks
- Contrasting Atrial Fibrillation from Atrial Flutter
- Mono and Polymorphic V-Tach
- Ventricular Fibrillation
- Critical Nursing Actions
Clues from the EKG
- Anatomy of the 12-Lead, 15-Lead and Right-Sided EKG
- Differentiating Limb leads from Chest Leads
- Cardiac Axis Meaning and Assessment: Utilizing the Thumb Technique
Acute Coronary Syndrome: Diagnosis & Management Guidelines
- STEMI vs. NSTEMI Treatment Strategies
- Critical Cardiac Labs
- EKG Interpretation: A Systematic Approach to Detection Identifying the Differences
- Urgent vs. Emergent Interventions
Cardiovascular Drug Cabinet: Pharmacological Therapies
- AHA Guidelines: When to Use & Why
- Dual Anti-Platelet Therapy
- Beta Blockers
- ACE Inhibitors
- Mechanism of Action
The Failing Heart: Acute Management Priorities Systolic vs. Diastolic Heart Failure
- Classification Systems
- Neurohormonal Activation
- Perfusion & Congestion Assessment
- The Importance of Unloading the Heart
- Evidence-Based Treatment
- Acute Medication Protocols
- Nursing Considerations With: Biventricular Pacing
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators
Valvular Heart Disease: Why the Left Side?
- Contrasting Stenotic Valvular Dysfunction from Insufficiency
- Physical Assessment Clues
- Signs & Symptoms
- Associated Murmurs
Advanced Skills in Assessment & Decision-Making
- Creating a Hemodynamic Profile without a PA Catheter
- Assessing Volume Status
- Jugular Vein Distention
- Importance of Pulse Pressure
- The Value of Heart Sounds
The Brain in Detail
The Electrical & Neurochemical Function of the Brain
- Brain Structure, Cranial Nerves & Functions
- The Life of a Neuron
- Peripheral & Autonomic Nervous Systems
The ABCs of the Rapid Neuro Exam
- Which Cranial Nerves to Assess & Why
- Abnormalities in Strength Testing
- Deep Tendon Reflexes
- Identifying Level of Consciousness
- Quick Interventions that Change Outcomes
Intracranial Pressure Made Easy
- What is Happening & Why
- Making Sense of the Calculations
- CNS Ischemic Response
The NEED to Know Neuro Disorders & Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries & Issues
- Signs & Symptoms of Huntington’s Disease
- The Challenges of Diagnosing Multiple Sclerosis
- The Progressive Nature of Myasthenia Gravis
- Understanding Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- The Abrupt Onset of Guillain-Barré Syndrome
Common Cranial Nerve Disorders
- TBI: Saving the Brain
- Alcohol’s Ravaging Brain/Body Effects
- Mild to Severe Alzheimer’s Disease
- Hallmarks of Parkinson’s Disease
Dissecting Brain Events/Stroke
- Ischemic vs. Hemorrhagic Stroke
- Cardiogenic Embolic Stroke
- Associated Symptoms Right vs. Left-sided stroke
- Identification & Treatment of Cerebral Aneurysm
- Migraine Management
- Understanding Causes & Triggers
- Interventions that Improve Outcomes
Handling Seizures Effectively
- Types & Common Causes
- Emergency Interventions
- Treating Status Epilepticus
- Seizure Algorithm
- Related Complications
NEURO Take Home Tool Kit – 80 pages of Quick References to use with your next neurological patient
- Analyze neuroanatomy as applicable to complex neurologic patients.
- Evaluate neurological assessment strategies related to cranial nerves I-XII.
- Assess cognitive changes and associated mental status for a variety of head injuries
- Develop management strategies for timely recognition and treatment of stroke symptoms.
- Demonstrate the clinical presentation and treatment recommendations for seizure types.
- Assess essential management strategies for patients with neurodegenerative disorders.
Heart and Lung Sounds, 2nd Edition
- Analyze 6 extra heart sounds and distinguish what they mean when you hear them.
- Assess the difference between systolic and diastolic murmurs, as well as clues to expected assessment finding with each.
- Analyze 5 adventitious breath sounds and understand the clue and common causes for their occurrence.
- Evaluate voice sounds to confirm pulmonary pathology.
Cardiac Assessment Skills
- Extra Heart Sounds
- S2 Splits
- Summation Gallops
- Mechanical Clicks
- Pericardial friction Rubs
- Heart Murmurs
- 4 Systolic Murmurs
- 3 Diastolic Murmurs
- Adventitious Breath Sounds
- Pleural Friction Rubs
- Using Vocal Fremitus to Confirm Pathology
- Whispered Pectoriloquy