Full Course Description
Psychedelics, Hallucinogens and Entheogens: What Clinicians Need to Know
- Analyze known mechanisms of action for psychedelics, MDMA, and dissociatives as they relate to case conceptualization.
- Evaluate recent clinical trials, other research on psychedelics, and their treatment implications.
- Determine contraindications to using psychedelics in therapy, as well as other potential risks of use.
- Appraise the basic concepts of psychedelic integration as related to clinical treatment.
- Utilize clinical strategies to talk about psychedelics when your clients bring up their experiences in session.
- Analyze the ethical challenges that may arise when discussing use of psychedelics in session.
Types of Psychedelic Substances: What You Need to Know
History & Context of Psychedelic Use: The Research
- Classic Psychedelics: LSD, Psilocybin, Mescaline, DMT
- Empathogens: MDMA
- Dissociatives: Ketamine, Dextromethorphan, Nitrous Oxide
- Complex Psychedelics: Ayahuasca, Ibogaine
- Other Atypical Psychedelics: Salvia Divinorum, Cannabis
Legal Avenues for Experiencing Psychedelics: Paths Clients May Take
- Epidemiology: Who uses, how, & how often
- Pharmacology: How they work in the brain
- Indigenous Use: How they work in culture
- Addiction to psychedelics
- MDMA is not ecstasy
- Potency & purity of “street drugs”
- Ibogaine & cardiac toxicity
- Contemporary Research
- End-of-life anxiety
- Social anxiety
Ethical Considerations for Your Clients
- Clinical Trials for MDMA & psilocybin
- Cultural Tourism
- South American ayahuasca tourism
- Central American mushroom tourism
- Contemporary Tourism
- Mushroom tourism in the Netherlands, Jamaica
- Church for ayahuasca & peyote
- Legal Psychedelics
- Ketamine & cannabis clinics
- The strange case of Salvia
- Exercise: Discuss psychedelics with your client
Ethical Considerations in the Therapy Room
- Sexual abuse in psychedelics communities
- Outing & societal pushback
- Isolation when your client has no community
- Limitations of the related research
Psychotherapy Preparation & Integration
- Assessment strategies to determine high risk
- The entropic brain theory
- Diagnoses that may benefit from psychedelic experiences
- How to talk about future illegal activity
- Spiritual bypassing: Using psychedelics to avoid working on yourself
- Exercise: Navigate ethical challenges
- Non-directive counseling
- Grounding techniques
- The holotropic mind model
- Exercise: Practice counseling techniques
Psychedelics in Therapy: New Ways to Catalyze Healing
- Evaluate the results of clinical trials of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD and their treatment implications.
- Determine the clinical uses of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy in the treatment of trauma.
- Appraise the role therapists play in the sessions while the client is under the effects of these drugs, and how to facilitate the talk-therapy sessions that precede and follow it to improve client outcomes.
- Assess the risks and limitations of MDMA and psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy.
- History of MDMA and Psilocybin
- Physiological effects and side effects, risk/benefit profile
- Design of past and ongoing non-profit-sponsored clinical trials of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy
- Results of Six Completed MDMA Phase 2 Clinical trials
- Design of ongoing Phase 3 Trials of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy
- Overview of psilocybin clinical trials
- Status of FDA drug development – MDMA and Psilocybin, including Breakthrough Therapy Designation
- The manualized therapeutic method used in clinical trials of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy
- Essential elements of “inner directed” approach
- Illustrated with quotes and videos
- Challenges that may arise
- Therapist training program for MDMA-assisted psychotherapy
MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy & Ecstasy: Cutting-Edge Research, Assessment & Intervention for Trauma, Anxiety & More
- Appraise recent clinical trials and other research done with MDMA as it relates to clinical practice.
- Evaluate contraindications to using MDMA and other potential risks of use as related to clinical treatment.
- Analyze legal and ethical considerations of MDMA-assisted therapy as it relates to clinical practice.
- Evaluate the scientific research of how MDMA works in the brain and the body for a better understanding relating to client outcomes.
MDMA vs. Ecstasy: What You Need to Know
- Pharmacology: How MDMA works in the brain & body
- MDMA & ecstasy are different things
- Assessment strategies for ecstasy use
- Risks associated with ecstasy use
The Science Behind MDMA-Assisted Therapy
- Clinical trials: Completed & Ongoing Research
- Social anxiety in autistic adults
- End-of-life anxiety
- Conjoint therapy
- Startle testing
- Contraindications for use
- Limitations of the research & potential risks
Evidence-Based Clinical Skills for Better Treatment
- Non-directive psychotherapy
- Somatic approaches: Before & after
- Therapeutic silence: Letting the client lead
- Case studies: Research participants tell their own stories
Legal & Ethical Considerations
- Changing legal frameworks
- Phase III clinical trials & rescheduling MDMA
- FDA Expanded Access program opportunities
- Ethical concerns
- Access and equity: Who deserves to receive this treatment?
- Informed consent & sexual trauma
Psychedelics in Modern Healing
Four Concepts of Therapeutic Psychedelic Use
- Set & Setting
- Most Important Determinants: Set & Setting
- 1960’s Push for Psychedelics in Treating Mental Health Issues
- Integration of Experience into One’s Life
- Psychedelic Experiences Are Not Transformative of Themselves
- Transformation Comes with Integration
- Expectations vs. Experience
- Expectations Get in the Way of Experience
- Exploring What the Experience Was About
- Attitude of Curiosity
Psychedelics & Pain
- Belief that One Cannot Handle Pain
- Embracing Your Ability to Handle Pain
- Feeling in a Safe, Held Context
- Connecting with Oneself
1960’s Cultural Phenomenon & Psychedelics
- Vietnam War, Racism, “Don’t Trust Anyone Over 30”
- Young Adult Use of Psychedelics Leads to “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” Situation
- Repression of Psychedelic Research
Creation of Retreats
- Focusing on Setting & Integration
- Increasing Self-Awareness & Self-Processing
- Creating Shared Community
- Psychedelics: The Royal Road to the Unconscious
Q&A; Introduction to Andrew Tatarski (Center for Optimal Living)
- Appraise the differences among various psychedelic substances and their potential uses in a therapeutic setting.
- Investigate the process of introducing and preparing for a psychedelic-based session with clients.
- Assess how to integrate what has been experienced and learned in a psychedelic journey after the session.
Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy: The Psychotherapy Whose Time Has Come
- Appraise research related to psychedelic-assisted therapy and efficacy across diagnostic categories.
- Evaluate the growing utilization of mental health professionals in the use of psychedelic-assisted therapies.
- Investigate the neurobiological underpinnings of psychedelic facilitation of psychotherapy.
- Review of clinical research and outcomes
- Review of neurobiological underpinnings and mechanisms of action
- Review of training and utilization of mental health professionals in treatment