Full Course Description
The Role of Love in Psychotherapy
- Why love and caring are the true foundation for the therapeutic connection and how to nurture them in your practice
- How to balance compassion for clients while helping them take responsibility for their own thoughts and actions
- How to quiet self-criticism and soften resistance to self-compassion so healing can occur
- The importance role of rituals—for both clients and therapists—in maintaining an open-hearted attitude of loving kindness
- Teach clients clinical strategies to help take responsibility for their own thoughts and actions.
When Moment to Moment Awareness Isn’t Enough
- Explain two ways that self-compassion goes beyond simple mindfulness practice.
- What we Resist Persists
- Loving Kindness Meditation
- Mindfulness vs. Self-Compassion
- Giving and Receiving Compassion
The 5 Myths of Self-Compassion
- Explain why practicing self-compassion is neither a sign of weakness nor self-indulgence
- Self-Compassion vs. Mindfulness
- Self-Compassion vs. Self-Acceptance
- Indicators of Self-Compassion
Facing Our Dark Sides
- To recognize your client’s inner critic, uncover its positive intent, and engage it in productive dialogue
- To engage the compassionate Self and help it achieve a leadership role in your client’s inner system
- The important role your parts play in helping clients develop self-compassion
- How to take a parts approach to enhancing your own capacity for self-compassion
List three inner parts, and describe the roles they play in helping facilitate self-compassion.
The Skills of Self-Compassion
- Teach the fundamental skills of self-compassion step by step
- Help client’s create a friendly internal voice to deliver positive “reality check” messages in a supportive non-critical way
- Coach clients using breath, posture, and other techniques to calm the mind and activate the brain’s network for caring and kindness
- Help relieve a client’s shame and self-criticism through psychoeducation and supporting courage and the motivation to change
Describe the three main phases of compassion-focused therapy.
Unlocking a Client’s Natural Compassion
- Describe two ways to help clients unfamiliar with self-compassion understand the concept better.
- The Two Basic Emotional Circuits
- Energy of Compassion
- The Three Measures of a Positive Alliance
- Understanding Self-Compassion
- Practicing Self-Compassion
- Obstacles to Self-Compassion