Full Course Description
Overcoming Resistance with Dr. David Burns: The Secret to Better Outcomes in Less Time
- Explain the process of paradoxical agenda-setting and how it helps the client become their own agent for change
- Identify the four steps of TEAM therapy
- Describe why the therapist’s empathy is such a crucial ingredient in helping clients undo negative thinking patterns
- Create a mood log and be able to take an assessment at the start and conclusion of therapy
- Review how to work with a client to develop a customized relapse prevention plan
Introducing a New Approach to Client Resistance
- Learn about David’s TEAM approach for overcoming resistance. Find out how the elements of the process-testing, empathy, agenda setting, and methods-combine to “melt” resistance, motivate clients, and result in more positive outcomes.
Melting Resistance: Clinical Demo and Analysis I
- Watch David Burns implement his TEAM approach with a client who’s struggled for 9 years with crippling symptoms from a traumatic event.
From Resistance to Healing: Clinical Demo and Analysis II
- The clinical video and analysis continues in this 90-minute session concluding with a dramatic positive outcome. It features agenda-setting and use of methods-the final 2 phases of the TEAM process.
Preparing Your Client to Prevent Relapse
- David Burns and Richard Simon follow up the extraordinary single-session resolution seen in the clinical demonstration with a detailed discussion of relapse-why it occurs and how to prevent it.
David Burns Answers Your Questions (Q&A call recording)
- List 5 common diagnoses the TEAM process is an effective approach for
- Learn more about overcoming client resistance, the clinical demonstration, and how the TEAM approach can help you in your practice.
Bonus! The Motivation Revolution
- Describe a paradoxical approach that encourages resistance and promotes real change
- Cognitive vs. Motivational Revolution
- New Research on Depression
- British CoBalT Trial
- Six-Month Evaluation
- What is TEAM Therapy?
- Goals of Agenda Setting
- Two Types of Resistance
- Outcome and Process Resistance
- Depression Resistance in a Nutshell
- Advantages of Paradoxical Agenda
- Disadvantages of Paradoxical Agenda
- Unlimited Free Psychotherapy Training
- Additional Resources — TEAM Therapy