Full Course Description
Integrative Therapy for Neurodevelopmental Disorders
Motor, sensory, behavioral, academic, digestive, immune and autonomic dysregulation issues are all seen in various combinations and degrees in neurobehavioral disorders such as ADHD, Autism, learning disabilities, behavioral problems, and social skills deficits.
But, why? What is the link? Most experts believe that these disorders are connected to one another. How? In this recording, Dr. Melillo will answer these questions in the most practical way.
Based on 20 years of clinical experience and cutting-edge brain science, Dr. Melillo will teach you new and innovative therapy techniques that connect motor development to cognitive development, and examine the relationship to early milestones and retained primitive reflexes. You will learn to tie all of this together with the Polyvagal Theory, brain hemisphericity and a holistic understanding of how the brain and the hemispheres regulate everything. You will learn techniques and tools that translate into clinical success no matter what the condition or severity.
With the rise of developmental neurobehavioral disorders and the overwhelming wide spectrum of related symptoms, understanding the root cause of neurobehavioral and learning disorders is essential to successful treatment.
From this recording, you'll learn:
- Techniques to identify and remediate Polyvagal issues, retained primitive reflexes and a wide variety of behavioral, learning and social issues
- Strategies to quickly and effectively inhibit primitive reflexes and promote the development of postural reflexes
- Tools to asses and promote balance in postural, oculomotor and vestibular systems
- Assessments for motor, sensory, academic, cognitive and behavioral skills
- Sensory, motor, cognitive and behavioral techniques to promote brain integration
- Nutritional and simple dietary assessments and interventions
- Explain the relationship between brain development, primitive reflexes and developmental milestones to effectively treat neurobehavioral and learning disorders.
- Summarize the role of retained primitive reflexes in the development of neurobehavioral disorders.
- Complete a primitive reflex assessment in clients of all ages and implement specific exercises to inhibit each reflex and promote the development of postural reflexes.
- Analyze the connection between autonomic, immune and social engagement dysregulation and discuss the clinical implications.
- Implement clinical assessments of neurodevelopmental imbalances in clients.
- Identify how attachment, Polyvagal systems and hemispheric imbalances relate to symptoms of ADHD, OCD, dyslexia, processing disorders, or autism, as well as other mental health, behavior, and educational issues.
- Develop comprehensive treatment plans to improve and correct developmental neurological imbalances.
Primitive Reflex Integration
In this interactive recording, improve treatment for your clients by discovering the link between development and primitive reflexes. Learn to equate seven primitive reflexes with developmental stages and evaluate performance based on those completed stages. Practice simple techniques to immediately add to your sessions, leading to developmental successes for:
- Sensory Processing Problems
- Behavioral Challenges
- Learning Disabilities
- Neurological Deficits
- Identify seven primitive reflexes and how they contribute to development
- Test for and rate the severity of the retention of each reflex
- Demonstrate the integration exercise, including modifications, for each reflex
- Identify the behavioral and physical symptoms associated with each reflex
- Examine why the reflexes may still be present
- Discuss what reflex integration can and cannon accomplish