Full Course Description
Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) and Tapping: Evidence-Based, Mind-Body Treatment Approach for Anxiety, Trauma & More
Origin and Research
- The origin of EFT
- The different nomenclature of EFT:
- Energy Psychology
- Thought Field Therapy
- Tapping Solution
- Meridian Therapies
- Highlight significant cortisol reduction in peer-reviewed published research
- The EFT steps of activating acupoints in conjunction with descriptions of upsets
- The profound relaxation response from EFT
- EFT includes cognitive interventions
- Going beyond talk therapy: relaxation of activating meridian
EFT to Eliminate Phobias
- Two categories of phobias – instinct driven or driven from a past negative event
- Demonstration of finding and treating with EFT the “first or the worst” time
- Live example from the audience, case studies
- The “borrowing benefits” for all to participate
Using EFT for Stress, Generalized Anxiety and Panic
- Personal peace procedure
- Checking work and the value of persistence
- Considerations for treating issues thoroughly -- in the past, present and future
- Quieting the physiological arousal of panic
EFT treatment for Compulsions and Unwanted Habits
- Finding a baseline
- Treat the “urge” or “desire” to perform the unwanted behavior
- Greatly diminish hand washing, checking, biting nails or thumb sucking
- Check your work via the SUDS intensity measure
- Future performance enhancement protocol to reinforce gains for the future
EFT with Social Anxiety and Building a Social Skill Set
- Social Anxiety –fear of being scrutinized by others (and yourself)
- EFT on social situations; past, present and future
- Establish layers of communication including ice breaker/small talk
EFT with Acute and Long-Standing Trauma
- EFT movie on Veterans 4 Vignettes of War
- Mind-body sweep - Gentle EFT approach via the associated physical discomfort
- Explain the origin and efficacy of the Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) including peer reviewed, published research.
- Implement self-applied, light touch or tapping on acupoints to calm and rebalance the body system while thinking about disturbing upsets -- to create a desensitize state as measured by continuous dropping of the SUDS level.
- Distinguish that EFT is a mind-body treatment that desensitizes unwanted thoughts, emotions and physical discomfort.
- List exploratory questions to elicit the first or worst defining event and how to treat in all manifestation in the past, present and future.
- Demonstrate EFT techniques for stress, phobias, generalized anxiety disorder and panic and traumatic events.
- Describe how EFT can greatly diminish OCD frustrating compulsions and unwanted habits.
- Acquire a two-prong approach to treating social anxiety: EFT and social skill building.
- Describe why EFT works in conjunction with and beyond talk therapy; and often cuts quickly through resistant problems.
- State the ethical concerns of not working outside knowledge base and obtaining ongoing “permission” to use these methods.
Module 6 – Energy Psychology Exercises and the Mind-Body Connection
Increasingly, therapists are discovering that when clients are immobilized by trauma or overwhelming affect, there’s a method that can help resolve the problem. Energy Psychology (EP) techniques are easy to learn.
With ongoing research that includes over 70 published studies and three meta-analyses, EP approaches have proven to be effective exposure-based therapies to treat a wide range of mental health issues within an overall therapeutic approach.
In this workshop recording, you’ll learn how to integrate this therapy with your current methods to regulate emotional overarousal.
- Explore how to use EP with PTSD and anxiety-based issues
- Determine how to integrate acupoint tapping or energy-focused therapy with your current methods to regulate escalating patterns of reactivity
- Discover methods to increase your ability to stay fully present and grounded, even when working with intense trauma or affect
- Explore specific EP tools to use to rapidly facilitate the processing of negative events
- Demonstrate how Energy Psychology methods can help regulate client as well as therapist emotions during the administration of Energy Psychology tools and techniques.
Energy Psychology Exercises
- Multiple Level Patterns
- Two Way Communication
- Function of the Mind
- Role of Information & Energy
The Eco-Systemic Model of PTSD
- Contributing Factors to Positive or Negative Resolution
- Affective Regulation vs. Dysregulation
Phase-Oriented Trauma Treatment
- Developing Safety
- Reconstruction of Memories
- Reintegration of Social Connections
Defining Energy Psychology
Trauma Based Problem Development
- Deconstructing Trauma Cycle
- Meridian Treatment
Basics of EFT
- Problem Focus
- Set-Up Statement
- Tapping Points
- Constricted Breathing Technique
- The Personal Peace Procedure
- Psychoenergetic Reversal
- Nine Gamut Procedure
- Chasing the Pain
- Tell the Story Technique
Role of Meridians
- Support from Acupuncture
- Use with Anger, Guilt & Shame
- Use with Temper Tantrums
Major Psychological Reversal
Neuroscience Mechanisms of Energy Psychology
Evidence-Based Support for EFT Copyright :
Module 7 – The Eco-Systemic Model of PTSD: The Difference Between Resolution and Distress After Trauma
Module 8 – Potential Neuroscience Mechanisms of Energy Psychology for Trauma and Anxiety
Module 9 – Memory Reconsolidation