For years I got stuck with my complex trauma clients.
The traditional standalone approaches everyone recommended seemed to fail me as my clients’ unresolved conflicts kept sabotaging our efforts toward healing. Session after session I was met with defensiveness and resistance. It was exhausting…and soon doubt and frustration started to creep in.
But one day the solution became clear -- complex trauma requires complex treatment -- not a standalone therapy.
Now in this one-day webinar I’ll show you how you can more successfully access deeply rooted pain points and move clients past the internal conflicts that hang them up in treatment by integrating elements of EMDR with skills from a parts work approach!
Join me for this unique, advanced level trauma treatment course, so you can:
- More safely gather your client’s trauma history
- Manage dissociation and fragmentation in clients using skills from parts work therapy
- Create a safe healing environment using modified EMDR therapy protocols
- Confidently use relational skills and somatic therapy for improved complex trauma treatment
Making the change to an integrated EMDR and parts work approach turned my treatment completely around. Since that day I’ve found tremendous success with my clients, authored several books on complex trauma and trained thousands of clinicians.
Don’t miss this chance to take your complex trauma treatment to the next level!
-Arielle Schwartz, PhD
Understanding Complex Trauma: The Neurobiology of PTSD
- Analyze the neurobiology of complex PTSD and dissociation through the lens of polyvagal theory.
- Apply interpersonal neurobiology through co-regulation strategies that strengthen our client’s social engagement system.
- Assess for emotional and physiological dysregulation as “parts” of self.
- Integrate practical parts work therapy interventions to improve treatment outcomes for “resistant” clients.
- Utilize techniques to help clients to work with shame and develop self compassion for their most wounded parts.
- Conduct modified EMDR therapy protocols that will allow you to create a safe healing environment for clients with a history of complex traumatization.
How to Assess for a Complex Diagnosis: History Taking and Case Conceptualization
- Nuances of stress, trauma, and complex PTSD
- The impact of dissociation
- Interpersonal neurobiology, somatic psychology, and social engagement
- The polyvagal theory
- Skill: Spacious, Relational Awareness
- Skill: Explore Co-Regulation
Moving Clients Forward: Modified EMDR and Parts Work for Complex PTSD
- Identify chronic, repeated, developmental and sociocultural trauma
- Overcoming betrayal trauma to resolve insecure attachment
- Assess for dissociation (“fragmentation”)
- How parts, ego states and defenses create walls to change
- Compassionate strategies for “Resistant” clients
- Move from shame to empowerment
- Skill: Understand emotional dysregulation as a “part”
- Skill: Connect to the adult self
- Skill: Differentiating from a part
The 6 Pillars of Resilience: For Post-Traumatic Growth and Healing
- The 8-phases of EMDR therapy
- Neural networks and “encapsulated” ego states
- Bilateral stimulation and dual attention in EMDR therapy
- Modified EMDR therapy protocols
- Preparation for trauma reprocessing
- Cultivate mindfulness, acceptance, and self-compassion
- Skill: Choice and containment
- Skill: Build allies for a part of self
- Skill: Facilitate repair scenarios
- Skill: Reprocess a traumatic memory
- Skill: Positive state installation
- Trauma recovery and the bell curve
- Resilience as a process and an outcome
- Move from learned helplessness to learned optimism
- Skill: Create your resilience recipe
- Social Workers
- Addiction Counselors
- Marriage and Family Therapists