What You Need to Know to Get Started with DBT
This foundational module lays the groundwork by introducing the essential concepts, principles, and
strategies required for a successful DBT journey. Gain an understanding of the core framework and
tools that underpin the entire program, setting the stage for effective personal growth and
Module 1 | Mindfulness
Begin with mindfulness, the cornerstone of DBT, fostering self-awareness and emotional regulation.
- Develop greater therapeutic presence and alignment with clients
- Teach clients how to "embrace the here and now" without non-sense
- Cultivate awareness, manage emotions, and reduce reactivity
Module 2 | Emotion Regulation
Explore the second pillar of DBT, Emotion Regulation, designed to equip therapists and clients with
the skills necessary to understand, label, and manage their emotions effectively.
- Get a roadmap for helping clients navigate intense emotions
- Build resilience to emotional turbulence
- Foster emotional stability and increase your client's overall sense of
Module 3 | Distress Tolerance
Learn about Distress Tolerance, a critical module that imparts the ability to cope with distressing
situations without making impulsive decisions.
- Gain practical tools to help clients endure difficult circumstances
- Lead clients toward resistance to self-destructive behaviors
- Help ensure emotional crises are managed constructively
Module 4 | Interpersonal Effectiveness
Dive into Interpersonal Effectiveness, an essential component of DBT that teaches the art of
navigating relationships and interactions skillfully.
- Teach your clients to communicate assertively, set boundaries, and develop
healthy interpersonal dynamics
- Decrease "drama" and promote more fulfilling and harmonious
Module 5 | Suicide and Self-Directed Violence
This module addresses one of the most serious aspects of emotional distress.
- Gain knowledge and skills needed to assess suicidal crises and self-directed
violence toward appropriate interventions
- More deeply understand ethics and responsibilities related to crises and
Module 6 | Adaptations for Working with Common Diagnoses
Learn to tailor techniques to the unique needs of individuals with various common mental health
- Practical "Radical Acceptance" ideas
- Using exposure therapy for trauma
- How to manage co-occurring OCD
- Anxiety-specific interventions based on DBT skills
- Neuroscience-backed adaptations for treating trauma
Module 7 | Adapt DBT for Children and Couples
Adapt DBT for younger clients, especially in the context of communicating with school-based
professionals, as well as parenting-specific interventions.
- Flexible DBT-based interventions for relationship counseling
- Incorporate insight from attachment and developmental models
- Experience exercises for each pillar of DBT
- Parenting-focused skills and how to navigate a whole family in your office
- Ideas for using DBT in a classroom setting and with problem school behaviors
Module 8 | DBT Groups & Diary Cards
In this module, you'll be introduced to the concept of DBT group therapy and diary card
management, illustrating how DBT can be effectively integrated into a group setting and how diary
cards serve as valuable tools for tracking emotions, behaviors, and progress throughout the therapy
- Practical considerations for effective group dynamics and candidate
- Experiential exercises for each pillar of DBT with group-specific
- Considerations for inpatient groups
Module 9 | Adapting DBT and Customizing Skills for Each Client
Learn how to select skills from DBT without doing the full DBT protocol.
- Use the "dismantled conditions" DBT approach customize DBT skills
- Integrate DBT with Internal Family Systems Therapy to help clients gain more
insight into internal conflicts
- Use strategies from Motivational Interviewing to help keep clients motivated
- Incorporate ACT-based interventions to keep clients committed to therapy and
deepen mindfulness and acceptance
Module 10 | DBT FAQ
Dr. Jacob answers the most commonly asked questions about using DBT in succinct and practical ways
that will help you overcome challenges and apply DBT easily and effectively.