Jessica – a good nurse who attended a top-notch program with stellar faculty and great internships – was always told, “if you don’t document with detail, you will get in trouble.”
But when Jessica started a new job, she was told “writing much more was a waste of time.”
Jessica didn’t question the unit’s process and thought, “I don’t need to worry about charting; the computer takes care of that for me. If I chart what my unit audits for, I can sleep soundly.”
Two years later…Jessica is sitting at a deposition table, being sworn in to testify.
“What went wrong,” she wonders. “What am I being accused of? How am I supposed to remember any of this? How can this happen to me, a dedicated healthcare provider?!”
If this can happen to Jessica – it can happen to you!
Stop stressing about a potential lawsuit and reclaim control of the care you provide with the Legal Nursing Certificate Course.
Finally, you will fully comprehend nursing documentation and litigation and transform the way you think about your practice. And should you ever be called to court, this complete guide will prepare you for what to expect next.
Return to work with increased confidence and the tools you need to reduce your own professional risk by your next shift!
Plus, earn a Certificate in Legal Nursing and up to 24.5 CE Hours at no additional cost to you!
Designed to be completed on your own schedule this intensive training course is a must for ALL nurses, nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, legal nurse consultants, nurse educators, and risk managers.
You can trust the nursing authority of Brenda Elliff, RN, MPA, ONC, CCM, LNCC, as she walks you step-by-step through the education you need to transform your nursing practice.
- Evolving trends in nursing litigation today
- The essence of the story behind litigation
- The burden of proof
- The expert witness seals the deal. Understand the impact
- Learn whether you should (or shouldn’t) have your own malpractice coverage
- Guidelines and interpretation
- Avoiding mistakes
- A lawyer’s secret weapon: Time stamping on YOUR documentation
- Social networking and indirect care
- Timeline chronology and mapping the case
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
- Meaningful Use
- Risky electronic documentation practices
- Charting by exception
- Dangers of email, social networking, and texting
- Should you make a late chart entry? Or not …?
- Avoid the hazards of dropdown boxes in your medical record system
- Time management
- Software knowledge/Informatics
- Does the case have merit?
- Medicare and Medicaid Changes
- Incentives for participation
- Hospital Acquired Conditions
- Plaintiff complaints
- Medical record review
- Timeline chronology
- Plaintiff deposition testimony
- Unsafe processes
- Incident reporting
- Adverse events and risk factors
- When to ask/demand help from a supervisor
- When the patient must transfer out
- Standards that are within standards
- Deviations, real or perceived
- Errors of omission and commission
- Communicating clearly
- Defense deposition testimony
- Credible evidence
- Avoiding ambiguity
- Recording events objectively
- Late entries and correcting errors
- Duty/Breach of Duty
- Nurse Practice Act
- State Board of Nursing
Join legal nurse consultant Rachel Henderson, PhD, MS, LHRM, CCRN-K, for a critical and self-productive look into the very real legal risks for nurses.
In this six-hour BONUS training, you will:
- Look at real nursing mistakes, with real legal consequences
- Review and critique documentation samples, so you know what to do to avoid litigation and regulatory deficiencies
- Get strategies to avoid high risk errors related to falls, wounds, and abuse
- And much, much more!
- Immediate, Lifetime Access to the Online Training and All Materials
- Designed with the busy professional in mind, this program is entirely self-paced. REGISTER TODAY TO SAVE, with no obligation to rush through the seminar material – it’s yours to keep forever in your professional library.
- Use our mobile app to get the content wherever and whenever you want on your mobile devices.
- Complete your online CE test and earn up to 24.5 CE Hours at no additional expense to you! Click here for CE credit details
Brenda Elliff, RN, MPA, ONC, CCM, LNCC, established Elliff Medical-Legal Services in 1996. As a legal nurse consultant, she assists on both plaintiff and defense cases. She performs record reviews, develops strategies and provides expert witness preparation.
Her work involves Medical Malpractice, Worker’s Compensation, Personal Injury and a variety of legal cases. Previously, Brenda worked as a Health Care Coordinator for a large law firm and taught a Legal Nurse Consultation review course. Initially she began working with attorneys on legal cases in California and has now expanded her scope throughout the Pacific NW.
Her clinical nursing experiences are vast and span 40 years. Brenda has worked as a staff nurse, as a nurse manager at major teaching facilities, as nurse case manager and as an adjunct nursing professor.
Past nurses who have attended Brenda’s programs have appreciated the dynamic and fun way in which she can deliver excellent clinical and legal information. She has been a sought-after speaker at national, state and local levels, on a variety of topics that draw from her areas of expertise.
Click here for information about Brenda Elliff
Rachel Henderson, PhD, MS, LHRM, CCRN-K, has nearly three decades of clinical, management and consulting experience. Rachel is a legal nurse consultant certified (LNCC), a licensed healthcare risk manager (LHRM) and she holds a forensic nurse certificate (FNC). As a legal nurse consultant, Rachel works with attorneys, law firms and healthcare organizations to review and evaluate medical records for compliance with standards of care and regulations posed by accreditation agencies, including The Joint Commission. In addition to her legal insights, Rachel draws from vast clinical experiences, including work in: critical care, renal transplant, dialysis and surgical settings.
Click here for information about Rachel Henderson
100% Satisfaction Guarantee